Women and HIVWomen and HIV

i want to have another baby

I have been living w/ aids for about 4yrs now & am doing great! my cd4 is over 500 & my viral is 0. Before I decide to get my tubes tied, I want to know if there is anyway I can have another child with out he or she having to live with having it?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

There are very effective ways to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV. Antiviral therapy, in particular, is very effective. The risk of transmission when moms are on therapy with undetectable viral loads is under 1%. There is a lot of good information on this web site -- the Gudelines for the Use of Antiretrovirals During Pregnancy has a lot of good information on how to prevent transmission. I would urge you to check out the information and discuss it with your care provider before you make a decision.

hiv and pregnancy
Need the True