Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Antenatal testing

Doctor,

Just a quick question. I have just found out that I am pregnant. I had an encounter last year, unprotected sex with a hetero male (not BI/ drug user etc).

I freaked out and began a course of PEP about 54 hours later (Viracept and Combivir) and finished the full 30 days.

I tested out to 22 weeks after the incident with all negative results on various p24/antibody tests.

I was extremely anxious about the entire process but after the last result (when the nurse from the clinic told me that the last test was definitive) I seemed to relax.

Now that I am pregnant with my long term partner, when reading pregnancy books I have realised that as part of routine blood testing I will be required to do a HIV test. This has brought up all sorts of fears again....

Do I have anything to worry about or were the tests as I described definitive?

I thank you so much - I just want to relax and be able to celebrate this pregnancy!

Response from Dr. Sullivan

You have nothing to worry about; the tests are definitve and you are not infected;JLS.

Coccidia from Puppy?
HIV+withextreme back pain & nothing helps