Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Antenatal testing
Jan 30, 2005

Doctor,

Just a quick question. I have just found out that I am pregnant. I had an encounter last year, unprotected sex with a hetero male (not BI/ drug user etc).

I freaked out and began a course of PEP about 54 hours later (Viracept and Combivir) and finished the full 30 days.

I tested out to 22 weeks after the incident with all negative results on various p24/antibody tests.

I was extremely anxious about the entire process but after the last result (when the nurse from the clinic told me that the last test was definitive) I seemed to relax.

Now that I am pregnant with my long term partner, when reading pregnancy books I have realised that as part of routine blood testing I will be required to do a HIV test. This has brought up all sorts of fears again....

Do I have anything to worry about or were the tests as I described definitive?

I thank you so much - I just want to relax and be able to celebrate this pregnancy!

Response from Dr. Sullivan

You have nothing to worry about; the tests are definitve and you are not infected;JLS.

Previous
Coccidia from Puppy?
Next
HIV+withextreme back pain & nothing helps

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.