Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Would it be okay...
Jan 9, 2005

Hello Doctor -

Actually, Dr. Sullivan, you answered a question for me back on November 15 - "HIV Window, really stressing over this." I really appreciated the reassurance.

Well, it has now been 13 weeks since that low-risk encounter. I have already had negative HIV tests at four and nine weeks. I have a Home Access test sitting here waiting to be taken. I know the home access phone line says you should test out to six months, and so do some other sources, but I know it's accepted by most health professionals that three months is a sufficient window.

My question is - my husband and I are back on track and considering having a child. If I were HIV positive, even though I know it can be done, I would NOT consider becoming pregnant. So with that... can I truly trust that this 13 week test will be completely accurate? I know flukes can occur, but is there any reason to think I would need further testing or that I could still be positive after three negative tests out to 13 weeks?

I just want to do what's best for my family and want to know for sure before I decide to expand our family.

If you think it's good, then I'll take this test and put it behind me forever.

Thank you in advance for your reply... and thanks for the work you do here.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

You can be absolutely comfortable with the 3 month test;JLS.

Previous
Possible Semen / Saliva and Strip Club
Next
Please Answer Im in desperate need of help

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.