For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Test Negative

Last May, I tested negative. This was three months after a possible exposure - brief oral sex without ejaculation. Shortly after the encounter, I got a cold and my gums swelled. This went away. I first tested at 80 days and the test was negative. The doctor was reluctant to administer a second test at the three month mark because she said my risk was low. She suggested that I test at six months.

It will be a year in February. Lately, I have had two colds and an eye infection - maybe conjunctivitis. Do you think I need to retest now or do you think my three month test was conclusive? I've read conflicting reports.

Thank you and Happy New Year.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

I do not think you need to be retested; you can be absolutely reassured by your negative test at three months; JLS.

are hiv meds making it hard to conceive?
Possible Semen / Saliva and Strip Club