For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

becoming pregnant

I've been on Combivir and Sustiva since March 2003 and have been doing very well. I'm exploring options for becoming pregnant (seems crazy to me but I'm told it can work).

I read that women shouldn't take Sustiva when they're pregnant. Given my current regimen, what would be some good options for replacing the Sustiva?

You have a great site! Thank you, Margie

Response from Dr. Sullivan

You should explore a switch regimen with your HIV specialist; in certain circumstances nevirapine or a protease inhibitor would be an appropriate replacement for Sustiva; this should be decided in the context of CD 4 count/viral loads/ potential toxicities; JLS.

surgery for mild dysplasia
Starting meds