Women and HIVWomen and HIV

surgery for mild dysplasia

i have had pap smears every 6mths and coloscopy annually. results show mild dysplasia. my obgyn is suggeseting she treat the dysplasia by surgically removing with a loop technique. My tcell count went from 60 to 160 and VL completely supressed. what is your experience with mild dysplasia healing by itself in HIV + patients. I am on kaletra, ziagen and epivir. i am ok about the surgery but would rather see if the body could heal itself. your thoughts are appreciated. Happy New Year.

Response from Dr. Lee

Dysplasia is most often associated with Human Papilloma Virus infection of the mucous membrane tissue. It is hard to clear this virus if it is entrenched. It is even harder in people who have immune dysfunction associated with HIV. If your tcell has risen to only 160, it is indicative of fairly significant immune damage. You may be ok for a while and could recheck with a colposcopic exam in a few months and postpone the surgery until that recheck. The other question is related to the procedure itself. You haven't said why you are reluctant to have the surgery. You have not indicated your age, or whether you plan pregnancy, etc. But, there are few side effects from LEEP if you are not planning pregnancy.

Talk to your doc about your reservations.

Be well.

Girlfriend with HIV
becoming pregnant