Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Having a child with one postive and 1 negative

My CD4 ratio is 88 ( CD3 81,CD4 73, & CD8 .11)and absolute CD4 778. I am getting married and of course deeply want to a child. I read your A&Q about vitro fertilization, but would you recommend this procedure with Aids?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Unprotected sex carries the risk of HIV transmission between couples discordant for HIV. If the woman is positive, artificial insemination could allow pregnancy without the risk of transmission. Before and following the establishment of pregnancy, it would be important for an HIV positive mother to receive the care necessary to optimize her health and to control viral load as well as possible. The use of specific antiretroviral therapies would depend on the woman's clinical and laboratory status. There is a lot of good information on this web site regarding prevention of HIV from mother to child -- I would urge you to look it over and discuss it with your care provider.

sex when both partners infected
handshake with sores