Women and HIVWomen and HIV

birth control and HIV test

Indeterminate Results My 2 Western Blots(a week apart)came out indeterminate, the 2 bands read weakly reactive to HIV-1 and some L word. It had been 41/2 months sense my "exposure". My doctor did a VL and it came back Negative. I'm not sure if they did a ELISA because the only paperwork I saw was a western blot. Could I b +? And I had just gotten off of my birth control (after 3 years of using it continuously) and my body started acting funny I stopped ovulating and my body looked like it lost nurishment Could this have effected my test? (Since I got back on them my body went back 2 normal)

Response from Dr. Lee

If you have a negative viral load (HIV PCR testing) you are most likely not infected. You may have a false positive ELISA (antibody) test for several reasons, but coming off of birth control is not a likely reason for a false positive ELISA. I suggest you follow up with your doc in a few weeks. You probably should have another VL checked, but then your doc may want to look for other reasons for the false positive antibody tests.

Be Well.

help needed ASAP
Statistics - Pregnancy and Efavirenz