Women and HIVWomen and HIV

help needed ASAP

P/s help. I am hiv + for 1 year now and have been on viramune,epivir, ziagen.My viral load is undetected, Cd4 359+.25 weeks pregnant and wants to do amniocentesis.presently, I take combavir & viramune. Will hiv be transmitted to my baby ?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

It sounds as if you have had a nice response to therapy, with undetectable viral load. Combivir and Virammune cross the placenta, so they should provide some protection to your baby. This will certainly decrease but not eliminate the potential risk of amniocentesis. You don't mention why amniocentesis has been recommended, but we generally recommend limitation of such invasive procedures in HIV positive women. I would urge you to disccuss this with your care provider to determine whether the amniocentesis is absolutely necessary and what your alternatives are.

Not infected
birth control and HIV test