Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Not infected
Dec 6, 2004

Hi,

My husband is hiv+ and i conceived our 1st baby unknowingly of his status. I'm still -ve after 3years, and we now would like to have another child. He also got another woman pregnant last year and this woman is also not positive. How is this possible?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Transmission of HIV is dependent on a number of factors. Individuals undergoing acute infected are thought to be most infectious to others, while chronically-infected individuals with good conrtol of their virus (low viral loads) are thought to be least infective; antiretroviral therapy is also thought to lower the risk of transmission by helping to control viral load. Studies of HIV discordant sexual partners have also taught us that rare individuals may be more resistant to acquiring HIV infection.

Thus, it is not unheard of for a sexual partner of an HIV positive individual to be seronegative. However, with unprotected sex and ongoing exposure, there is always the risk of infection, particularly if the HIV positive individual experiences an increase in viral load. Women who acquire HIV infection during pregnancy are at much higher risk of passing the virus to their baby. For these reasons, we usually counsel discordant couples to use safe sex and to consider their altermatives if they are considering pregnancy. I would urge you to discuss this with your husband's care provider.

Previous
Want to have a child
Next
help needed ASAP

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.