Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Want to have a child

I am a 38 yr old women who tested positive for HIV 4 years ago. I have a history of IV heroine use, but have been on methadone for 6 months. I had a 2 day relapse 3 months ago, but have been clean from all drugs and alcohol for 3 months. My CD4 is 365 and HIV-1 viral load is 28,000. I am more tired lately, do have some night sweats, and I am a little bit depressed. Do you think if I restart my HIV medications I will feel better? Also, I would like to have a child with my boyfriend (who is HIV negative) so we aren't using protection.

Response from Dr. Lee

Your viral level is such that it could be associated with night sweats and tiredness. I don't know about your previous meds, or what you might restart, but generally you may do better with control of the virus.

I would really caution you about unprotected sex as 1) pregnancy when you are not on treatment may result in the baby being born with HIV, and 2) your boyfriend is at risk of getting the HIV from you. That might put a bit of a damper on your relationship.

I would not recommend unprotected sex. The positive person usually feels awful if the negative one catches the virus. The negative person usually feels angry at the positive person if they catch the virus. Talk to your doctor about options for child-bearing.

Be well.

MORE HELP
Not infected