Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Friend infected

Hi Dr Sharon Lee,

My best friend has been tested HIV positive recently. Nobody including my friend knows how she got infected. She is a very innocent girl and she never had sex in her life so far. She is 24 yrs old and she got married recently. His husband is not infected because they haven't had sex. Her CD4 count is 284. Now they have to decide whether to live together or not. What would be your suggestion?

I wanted to make sure so I went to a local doctor and got myself tested.

I've got the report with me at the moment. It says:

HIV 1/2 ANTIBODY NOT DETECTED

ASSAY TECHNIQUE: ENZYME IMMUNOASSAY

My doctor told me that I am HIV -VE (negative). Could you please confirm this. Do I need to go through any more tests?

Response from Dr. Lee

Sex is not the only way to become infected. However, since your friend is testing positive and her husband is testing negative, I suggest they go to a doctor who is experienced with HIV for counseling about how to handle their new marriage situation.

Your test is negative. The test was an antibody test which is accurate most of the time if it is at least 3 months since the possible exposure. If it is less than 3 months, you may want to have another test after waiting a few more weeks.

Be well.

Aids + hysterectomy + possible hormone therapy
MORE HELP