Women and HIVWomen and HIV

P24 Test for Baby

I am an hiv+ mother with a 1 yr old baby. She went for a P24 and the result was negative. Does this mean she is HIV negative cause the doctor says she has to have a rapid test at 18 months and she has now been taken off her cotrimoxazole 2.5ml dosage a day. Is she negative. I pray so.

Response from Dr. Lee

Most of the time, we don't use a P24 test anymore, because it is not as helpful as a PCR (or viral load) test. Most likely your baby is negative, but it is not as sure with the P24 test as with the other tests. I suggest you follow-up with the later test your doctor suggests, just to be sure.

Be well.

HIV & Babies
Aids + hysterectomy + possible hormone therapy