Women and HIVWomen and HIV

MENAPAUSE?

HOPEFULLY IF THIS IS ANSWERED, I WILL BE LINKED VIA E-MAIL TO THE ANSWER. I'VE BEEN HIV HEP C POZ FOR WELL OVER 15 YEARS. BEEN ON MANY COMBOS WHICH WERE SUCCSESSFULL IN KEEPING MY HIV IN CHECK, ALTHOUGH MY T CELL COUNT IS NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE. T-CELLS ARE APPROX 300, NO VL, HEP C VL 5 MIL AND HAVE TRIED 2 GO 'OUNDS OF HEPC TREATMENT UNSUCCESSFULLY. I GET A LOT OF SHRUGGED SHOULDERS THESE DAYS FRON GYN, NURSES AND DOCS AS TO WHY MY NIGHT SWEATS ARE SO SEVERE. ITS BEEN A YEAR SINCE MY LAST PERIOD. BTW, I DID RIBA/IF AND THEN RIBA/PEGASUS. MY PUPPY WONT SLEEP WITH ME FOR FEAR OF DROWNING!!! LOL HEY, I GOTTA LAUGH HUH?! ANYWAY, I AM COPING WELL DURING THE DAY, LIVING MY LIFE IN RETIREMENT, WORKING IN AND AROUND MY HOUSE BUT NIGHT TIME IS HORRID. I AM 47 Y.O. AND HAVE HAD FSH TESTS AND I AM PERI OR ALMOST POST MENAPAUSAL, HAVE BEEN CHECKED FOR ACTIVE TB AND CMV AND LYMPHOMA. WHY ARE MY BED CLOTHES LIKE SPITBALLS. I COULD THROW THEM AT THE WALL AT NIGHT AND THEY WOULD STICK. IF I STAND UP, THE DRENCHING WILL EVEN RUN INTO MY EYES AND DOWN TO MY SOCKS. I'VE NEVER BEEN A WHINER BUT THIS IS JUST TOO MUCH!!!!!! ANY IDEAS WOULD BE THANKFULLY ENTERTAINED.

Response from Dr. Lee

I do not understand what the shrugging is all about. You are 47 and FSH test show you are menopausal. What's to question? It is clearly not lymphoma, TB, or HIV. You are having night sweats related to your menopause. These can be miserable! You need to have appropriate therapy. Tell them you want treatment. (Don't just ask, many docs are hesitant to recommend hormones for menopause. There has been a lot of discussion in the past two years about the ineffectiveness or even risks of hormone treatment for other problems such as heart disease, etc. But, all the guidelines recommend hormone replacement therapy for women who have severe menopausal symptoms.) I think you qualify.

Be well.

neuropathy and resuming medsin older woman
AIDS/SKIN LESIONA