Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Testing and Intent to get Pregnant

Hi Doctor Lee - I was hoping to get your opinion on something.

I recently had a brief, low-risk encounter with someone I didn't know well, although I have no reason to believe he's in a high risk category (kissing, touching, and very brief unprotected oral sex - his mouth on me for a couple minutes, my mouth on him for literally 10-20 seconds, and no ejaculation). I know it's unlikely to catch HIV from this scenario, and I already tested negative once, at 4 weeks. I plan on testing again at the 3-month mark for definitive results. I also had a full battery of testing for other STD's at 4.5 weeks, and everything was clear.

I am married and this encounter was a huge mistake, and a one time lapse in judgment (clouded by alcohol) in an otherwise good relationship. My husband knows, is working on forgiving me and getting past it, and we're trying to get on with our lives.

One thing that moving forward includes is having another child (we have a two year old), something we've talked about for a long time and were discussing before this happened. I feel that it's best to wait until after my test in January to try to conceive, just to be sure I'm okay... my husband thinks it's not necessary and that I'm blowing things out of proportion. Although, between my negative result and my very low risk to start with, I'm guessing I'm likely fine. What do you feel is the accuracy of a test at four weeks? And would you agree that this is a very low risk scenario? But I feel it would still be prudent to wait... do you agree?

I know it can be done, but if the worst happens and I do turn out to be HIV positive, I would not want to have another child... it's beyond my personal comfort level to risk that. So based on that, would you even recommend waiting to test at six months post-encounter before trying to conceive, even if my 3-month test is negative too? Or is that really not necessary?

Just some things that I've been wondering about... I hope this makes sense. I will discuss this with my doctor next time I go in as well, but I would really value your opinion. I have read many of your archives and appreciate the straightforward advice you give.

Looking forward to your response... thanks in advance.

K.

Response from Dr. Lee

You stated you don't know this sex partner well, so it is not necessarily appropriate to assume he has not participated in high risk behavior. From the description, your encounter is relatively low risk and will probably not result in transmission of any STD's (including HIV). That said, it is still probably prudent to wait another few weeks before proceeding with a pregnancy.

Be well.

Pregancy and HIV
HELP IM PREGNANT