Women and HIVWomen and HIV

hiv@hepc is viramune o.k.?

i use to be on viracept and epiver and zerit for 5 years.for the last 3 years i have been drug free. my viral load was undetectable for many years. just recently my doctor checked for hepc @found out i have it. millions he said the viral load is / he said for hepc it was average. my hiv viral load is and has been arounnd 10,000 for maybe one and a half years. my doctor wants to put me on viramune i am afraid because my liver enzymes have started to jump. is this the best choice? and what should i start first? the hiv therapy or the hepc ?i have been positive for 16 yearswithoutany oppurtunistic diseases but i know i have had hep c longerlike 25 years . i am mad at my doctor for not checking my hepc back when my liver was healthy. my husband and son are both negative for everything. and i work full time. please help me decide , my t/cell count is around 225 and because the majority of my docs patients are homosexual malesi don"t think he always knows whats right for me iam 46 years old without any other health problems.

Response from Dr. Lee

You are right to be concerned about taking some of the meds with abnormal liver tests. You have a very specialized problem when you have HIV and Hep C. I would suggest that you ask your doctor about specialists in your area who deal with both, or that you seek a GI specialist in Hep C who works with an HIV specialist. I do not have enough information to help you with this complex situation. Your doctor may not have all the answers, but should be able to help you find others who have more expertise. If not, call an HIV hotline in your area or check with the HIV Medical Association, or the American Association of HIV Medicine for the names of docs.

Be well.

HIV and needles
effect of hysterectomy on hiv