Women and HIVWomen and HIV

17yrs hiv+

I have a 8month old and we both just recently found out that we were hiv +. Doc says by the looks of my cd4 count I have had this for about 16 or 17 years. Can you please give me some kind of reason why I have never been sick? However, since having my baby my body seems to be running down. Losing wgt. night sweats. Maybe just depressed? Thank you for your help. Ginger. PS My daughter is doing awesome now that I know what is wrong. She is on meds three times a day, but she was very very sick at 6 months old. But now she is at an undetectable vload stage!!!

Response from Dr. Lee

There is no good reason to explain why some people become very sick with HIV-related infections, etc. shortly after infection and others seem not to be very sick even with extremely low CD4 levels and severe immune suppression. Good that your baby is better. Are you also on treatment? Hopefully, you'll feel better after being on treatment a while.

Be well.

Having baby
HIV and Hep C in newborns