Women and HIVWomen and HIV

HIV transmission

Dr.Luzuriaga, A couple of weeks ago I was scratched by the fingernail of a HIV pos patient. I noticed a red mark from his finernail, but saw no blood. I didn't see any broken skin on my arm either. After it happened I washed the scratch with some Alcohol Prep pads. Later that evening I noticed a small red mark (about the size of a pin) on the place where he scratched me. That little red mark is still there and doesn't rub or scrape off. I was curious if I was at risk for HIV transmission. I've talked to people at the CDC and they think there is no risk. However, my nerves seem to be getting the best of me. I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance that I'm Ok and not at risk. Thanks for your help

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

HIV is passed by exposure to blood or body fluids. Since you were not in contact with either and the scratch did not break the skin, you are not at risk of acquiring infection.

False positive after blood donation
Having baby