Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

False positive after blood donation
Oct 27, 2004

Recently, I donated blood, and two weeks later received a letter from the blood center saying that I tested positive on the HIV antibody screening test, but negative on the Western Blot, and negative on the NAT. And therefore, the screening test was a false positive, and I should have no cause for alarm.

Just to be sure, I talked to a donor counselor at the blood center, and she told me I was definitely negative (especially because of the negative NAT), and there was no need to be retested or see my doctor.

I still wasn't convinced, so I went to my doctor and explained the situation, and asked to be retested. But she wouldn't test me, saying it was completely unnecessary, because the blood donor test was thorough and conclusive. Instead, she suggested anxiety counseling, which I've started.

Do you agree with the donor counselor and my doctor that it's completely unnecessary for me to be retested? I've never done anything risky, but I still can't get past the "what-if's." Also, I've been reading about window periods, and saw that the average window period for NAT was 10-12 days. So, how encouraging or conclusive would a negative NAT be, when my last (very low risk) sexual contact of any kind was 6 weeks before? Thanks!

Response from Dr. Lee

I do not understand why these professionals would not have suggested another HIV test (in fact possibly even a PCR), if for no other reason than to reduce your anxiety. I suggest you go to another doctor or health department and simply request an HIV test. They may help you more.

Be well.

Previous
med changes
Next
HIV transmission

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.