Women and HIVWomen and HIV

want a baby

i was diagnosed eight months ago and i have been on my meds and doing well. my v.r is 50 and t. cells are 278 my only question is that how do i go about getting pregnant. by husband is negative and i seriously want to have a baby.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Your question brings up the issues of how to have a baby while keeping yourself healthy, preventing HIV transmission to your husband, and preventing transmissio nto your baby.

Keeping yourself healthy is the first order of business. It sounds as if you have taken the first steps to optimize your health. I would recommend that you discuss your desire to have a baby with your HIV provider, so that he/she can work with you to continue to optimize your health.

Any unprotected sex carries the risk of transmitting the virus to your husband, even if your viral load is low. One option that you have for getting pregnant without exposing your husband would be artifical insemination. I would urge you to discuss this and other possibilities with an obstetrician.

Since you have a very low viral load on therapy, the risk of transmitting the virus to your baby is under 1%. You don't mention what medications you're on. Most HIV meds are felt to be safe for administration during pregnancy -- the only med that is not recommended is efavirenz (Sustiva). I would urge you to read the "Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Therapy During Pregnancy" (available on this web site in the Treatment Guidelines section) and discuss any medication changes with your care provider.

HIV and birth
worried about having signs