Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Adopting From Russia - Referral has HIV+ Mother

I am adopting a child from Russia. The referral I received was for a 16 month old who tested negative for HIV using PCR at 13 months of age. The mother was HIV+ at time of conception and birth. Don't know if the mother breast fed and/or was on meds. What is the risk to this child. What additional tests should I ask the orphanage to perform. When will I know definitively the child is not at risk?

Response from Dr. Lee

You will not be able to know if this child is infected until you can verify that the lab tests are done on this particular child. In other words, you would need to be able to verify the blood that is tested in the lab was actually drawn from this child. If the baby was actually HIV negative by PCR at 13 months after delivery and has had no other source of infection except the delivery, he/she is assuredly negative.

Be well.

infection with HIV
HIV and pregnancy