Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Exacerbation of psychiatric illness by Sustiva

I have heard a lot of good things about Combivir+Sustiva, and am attracted to the idea of a treatment regime that looks fairly easy to stick to (less frequent dosing etc)However, I am concerned about the possibility of side effects from the Sustiva, in particular the exacerbation of existing psychiatric issues. I have a psycotic illness,which is very well managed with Zyprexa and Risperidone. I also take procycladine for resulting CNS disturbance. Would there be a high risk of me experiencing side effects with the Sustiva?(I know you cannot say for certain!)Or would the anti-psychotic meds I take be enough to counter any such effects? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Lee

It is probably best to avoid Sustiva due to the potential side effects. I suggest looking at some of the other simple regimens. (There are several.)Check with your doc.

Be well.

pregnant/inconclusive- dr. not helping!
how long does the virus stay in a body before the first signal