Women and HIVWomen and HIV

pregnant/inconclusive- dr. not helping!

This is sort of a long story, so I will start by telling you that the last time I could have possibly been exposed to HIV would have been over 3 years ago. Since then I have been in a monogamous relationship with the same partner, and we have both been tested several times, including fairly recently for jobs, etc, and all the tests were Negative. My problem is that about a month ago I was given an HIV 1/2 antibody screen during OB labwork, and my doctor said the result was "inconclusive", but did not elaborate on which test(s) were used. He said I need to retest, and I am going on Monday to do so. When we got the result, my husband immediately took an HIV test, which came back Negative. I am 110% absolutely sure I have had no possible exposure for the past 3 years, so do I need to worry about this since we have both tested negative well after the window period? Also my doctor was not very reassuring, he said he could not give me any answers until I retake it...does this mean he doesnt think I have a very good chance of it being negative? I have to wait 3 weeks for the results and dont want to stress over this for no reason because Im pregnant. Thank you SO much.

Response from Dr. Lee

It is quite possible with your history that you have a "false positive" HIV test which occasionally happens during pregnancy with the antibody tests. It is best to check a viral PCR (polymerase chain reaction) in order to get a better idea if you have active virus in your system. I am sorry that you have to sit in "limbo" for the time it takes to get the tests back.

I would also suggest that you see an experienced HIV treating physician to help you with this diagnosis, as most OB docs don't have much experience with the virus. (Your doc is probably just trying to be careful when he says he can't give you any answers until you retake the test.)

Be well.

PREGNANT PLEASE HELP ASAP
Exacerbation of psychiatric illness by Sustiva