Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PREGNANT PLEASE HELP ASAP
Sep 16, 2004

Hi, I have been concerned about hiv2,I had unsafe sex with a man who traveled out of the country(not sure where).I have been tested by homeacess and Orasure oral swab test(not rapid test)and also had a hiv1 blood test done for one of my prenatal visits.All of the tests have come back negative.My concern is that hiv2 would not be detected by any of these tests.I have asked around and most doctors and labs have told me that if there was a hiv2 infection my hiv1 test result would be inconclusive or indeterminate.Then I have also heard my hiv1 test would be non reactive.How sensitive are hiv1 tests?Would another retrovirus such as hiv2 cross react?Please help me, I am very scared and about to have a baby,I want to keep my baby safe.Thank you.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

The reported sensitivity of HIV 1 elisa assays for the detection of HIV 2 is 50-93%; if you are concerned that you may be infected with HIV 2 you should ask your physician to test specifically for HIV 2;JLS.

Previous
contracting hiv/aids
Next
pregnant/inconclusive- dr. not helping!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.