Women and HIVWomen and HIV

PREGNANT PLEASE HELP ASAP

Hi, I have been concerned about hiv2,I had unsafe sex with a man who traveled out of the country(not sure where).I have been tested by homeacess and Orasure oral swab test(not rapid test)and also had a hiv1 blood test done for one of my prenatal visits.All of the tests have come back negative.My concern is that hiv2 would not be detected by any of these tests.I have asked around and most doctors and labs have told me that if there was a hiv2 infection my hiv1 test result would be inconclusive or indeterminate.Then I have also heard my hiv1 test would be non reactive.How sensitive are hiv1 tests?Would another retrovirus such as hiv2 cross react?Please help me, I am very scared and about to have a baby,I want to keep my baby safe.Thank you.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

The reported sensitivity of HIV 1 elisa assays for the detection of HIV 2 is 50-93%; if you are concerned that you may be infected with HIV 2 you should ask your physician to test specifically for HIV 2;JLS.

contracting hiv/aids
pregnant/inconclusive- dr. not helping!