Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Gastric Bypass Surgery

Hello--I am desperate to find a surgeon with the compassion to do the surgery--I have already been approved for it--and the day I went to have the surgery I received a phone call from the surgeon and she told me at 5:30 am the day of surgery--I was also alone--I do not fit the profile or risky behavior so my family dr never had me tested--I also had no symptoms but it is believed that I recieved through blood products which the state is investigating. I just want to be normal-and with these meds I am gaining more weight and have blown out my knee again--my cholestrol is almost 300 good and bad. I feel without this surgery I am going to die--Please help me find a dr that is willing to operate on a 45 yr old female--I am in good health now--undetectable and T cells are fine--I appreciate the time you spent to read this--

Response from Dr. Lee

Sorry, I don't have a list of doctors who do this surgery. I suggest you check with your primary doctor or your HIV treating doctor. Generally, I do not think gastric bypass is safe or appropriate for most patients. There are other options. You might ask for a referral to a "bariatric" specialist (these docs have special training in treating obesity medically). A bariatrician would also know more about docs in your area who do these surgeries.

Be well.

latest stats
Lesbian x HIV