Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

latest stats
Sep 15, 2004

In a question posted Sept. 8, 2004, Sharon answered a question about a woman who had been having unprotected sex with her HIV neg. husband for five years, saying that the male was at a lower risk and possibly the woman had a low viral count that helped in her husband not getting infected. I've heard from reputable people in the field that 99% of the time in situations like this the male will not get infected. Do you have any stats on this and is this a true number? I can understand you would not want this to be widely known if it is the case, because then people will think it safe and not use protection. Still, I'd like to hear what the research shows. Thank you for your help.

Response from Dr. Lee

No that is not a true number. There are no clear statistics on this issue. Check with the CDC. However, as with any other stat, if you are the one out of one hundred to have either the good or bad luck predicted by any statistics, it doesn't really matter to you that 99 others had the opposite results. Therefore, SAFER SEX! Do not assume safety.

Be well.

Previous
dried blood
Next
Gastric Bypass Surgery

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.