Women and HIVWomen and HIV

HIV+ positive & becoming pregnant

I am 39 year old women, diagnosed HIV+ in September 2002. As of July 2004, my tcells were 720 and my vload was 60,000. I am not on meds right now but will consider going back on them if it's a benefit to keep my tcells up while trying to get pregnant. Based on the above, what risks are there for the baby to be HIV+? I currently have tremendous night sweats which could be from HIV or premenopausal, is this an issue? Sidenote...my partner whom I have been with 4-1/2 yrs is not HIV+. Please advise. Thank you very much.

Response from Dr. Lee

The vload of 60,000 is the greatest risk to your infant. The virus can pass the plactenta very early in pregnancy, although it most often passes in later pregnancy or during the delivery process. Therefore in order to protect your infant from transmission, I would advise going on treatment before trying to get pregnant.

You also need to consider the risk to your partner if you have unprotected sex. It is possible to utilize his semen indirectly rather than directly in order to attain the pregnancy.

39 is on the young side for menopause, but the older side for pregnancy. You can check the cause of the night sweats with your doc by checking and FSH level (follicle stimulating hormone) and also by following the regularity of your periods.

Be well.

RE : PLEASE REPLY!!!
Could he really still be negative!?