Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PLEASE REPLY!!!
Sep 7, 2004

Dear Dr.Sharon,

Around 3 months back i had unprotected sex with a HIV+ girlfriend & she was also bleeding due to her regular cycles. After our sex act i started feeling guilty and suddenly thought of HIV danger. My worst fear came alive when she was detected positive & me negative via elisa test the very next day (she was tested twice in different labs). Since then i have been avoiding sex with my wife. I got Qualitative RNA and DNA PCR's from different Labs after 30 days. They were negative. Recently after 3 months & 4 days i got tested for antibodies elisa. IT was also negative. NOw does this confirm that i was saved & go ahead with my normal sex life with my wife or wait for another 3 months, as some suggests that elisa test after 6 months is confirmatory. I have avoided sex with my wife saying i have some genital infection, though so far i have not had any physical illness. One more problem is that when tested for Herpes she was found HSV1 antibodies positive where HSV is dormant & not currently active. I have no signs of boils anywhere near my genitals & its 3 months up. Do i also have to get checked for Herpes or it might have shown some signs on me if it would have got transmitted??? PLEASE HELP .... as my wife is getting suspicious on me for avoiding sex so far!!!

Response from Dr. Lee

Your wife is suspicious? She is on the right track. You are not only potentially exposing yourself to several kinds of infections, but exposing her as well. Have you ever heard of ABC's? Abstain, BE FAITHFUL, and use condoms. You have not managed to do any of these (except thankfully abstaining with your wife after your foray with your girlfriend). Maybe boils would help you wake up!

As far as your specific questions: Q: NOw does this confirm that i was saved & go ahead with my normal sex life with my wife or wait for another 3 months? A: You had a negative PCR at thirty days, plus a negative ELISA at 3 months. Your chances are high (although not 100%) that you were spared from acquiring HIV. Now you might want to know how to keep it that way? ABC! Abstain, BE FAITHFUL, use condoms.

Q: Do i also have to get checked for Herpes or it might have shown some signs on me if it would have got transmitted? A: There is no real point in checking for Herpes if you've had no blisters or sores in the genital area. Usually there will be symptoms within a few days of exposure.

Be well!

Previous
Breast fibrosis in HIV positive woman-please help
Next
My son

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.