Women and HIVWomen and HIV

HIV +Gaining Weight During Pregnancy

I am 13 weeks pregnant and was recently diagnosed as being hiv +. During these 13 weeks I have been eating for 2(maybe 3 sometimes) but am not gaining any weight. Should I be concerned that I am not yet gaining weight? Also is it possible that hiv + pregnant woman can lose weight while pregnant, as part of being infected?

Thanks for your response!!!!

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

During the first trimester of pregnancy (up to 12 weeks), the body is adjusting to pregnancy by building up the placenta, increasing blood volume, etc. While this is the period during which the major organ systems are formed, the fetus itself is still very small. Weight gain during the first trimester averages about 4-6 pounds, although many women may gain less and still have healthy babies; the majority of weight gain occurs after the first trimester.

Recommended weight gain during pregnancy averages about 25 lbs. but varies from person to person and really depends on your health and weight prior to pregnancy. Since optimizing your health will optimize the health of your baby and minimize the risk of transmitting the virus to your baby, you should disucss with your care provider how to optimize your health (including how much weight to gain during pregnancy and HIV-specific treatment). You don't mention your general health and HIV status (CD4, viral load, history of opportunistic infections, treatment), but these are all factors that could impact your and your baby's overall health. For an excellent review of recommended practices during pregnancy to optimize your health and minimize the risk of transmission, please see the Guide to Using Antiretroviral Therapy During Pregnancy, available in the Treatment Guidelines section of this web site.

HIV+ and abnormal pap smears
HIV +, Pregnant and reacts to Nevirapine