Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Dont know what is happening

I am currently pregnant- about eight months. During one of my visits to the doc, I was given an HIV test- I do not know if it was Elissa or WB. However, I was told that it was positive. However, my Viral load was okay and CD4 count was fine. I have take three separate tests for Hep, CD4 count and otherco-infections, but everything came back negative. About a month or so ago I was given another test for HIV as well as checks on my CD4, viral load and all those attending factors that come with the infection. The doc told me that if things didn't seem right I was going to be called right away. Well, I never got a call, and so I assumed that everything was okay. Three days ago I was back at the hospital and the doc told me that even though the test shows positive, but all other test that were done came back fine..therefre he has asked for me to take another test within six months. I am really confused and do not know what is happening here. How can I be sure of any contraction becaus eI donot know if I am getting the two tests done or if it is just one. Can this also support the "false positive" theory for pregnant women.. I am very worried and do not know what is happening here.. please help me, please

Response from Dr. Lee

I would strongly advise you to very quickly get a second opinion with a doctor who is very experienced with HIV disease. (Check with your health department.) It is important to take the actual lab reports with you, so the doctor can help your properly interpret these tests. It is quite possible that this is a pregenancy-related "false positive". However, you would not want to deliver a child who aquires HIV because you were not properly treated during pregnancy. Check this further soon!

Be well.

How can I test neg when I was pos
HIV AND OBESE