Women and HIVWomen and HIV

HSV + HIV in early stages

Does it make sense that, when I used to have frequent HSVII outbreaks, I have not had one for several (>9 months months) after being infected w/HIV (I know appro. when I was infected)? Although I've had other manifestations of HIV (apthous ulcers as primary infection and currently, scabies) no HSVII outbreaks. Is it because of a high antibody surge? Thanks for your help!!

Response from Dr. Sullivan

My best guess is that you have been lucky; there is no reason that HIV infection should suppress your HSV infection, in fact HIV infection can exacerbate HSV infections because of the immunodeficiency which results from HIV infection;JLS.

prevelance of OIs in African American women
chances of vertical transmission