Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Child's CD4 dropping

My six year old had his quarterly check up and the doctor told me that his viral load continues to be undetectable but his CD4 is lower. It has gone from 1100 to 950 to 700 in the last year. Is this a cause for concern and what could cause his count to drop? The doctor just said as long as it was over the 25th percentile not to worry. What does this mean? He is on triple combo therapy, Zerit, Viramune and Kaletra

Response from Dr. Lee

"Normal" absolute CD4 levels vary in children depending on age, etc. The doctor is correct, the percent of CD4's is often much more significant in children.

So, the decrease does not necessarily mean anything significant. If he is otherwise doing well on the therapy (and especially if his viral load remains undetectable), there is need for concern.

Be well.

COuld not find anything with respect to my concern.
prevelance of OIs in African American women