|+couple-infected by same virus..male has higher load..want to conceive
Jul 25, 2004
I contracted HIV from my partner who was unaware of his status. He has a higher vl than I do. Neither of us has started treatment yet. We want to conceive children while we are healthy. Should we: 1. Both start treatment and have undetectable VL before trying to conceive? 2. Have unprotected sex only during my fertile period right now? 3. How dangerous is it for us to have unprotected sex if we have the same virus and neither of us has started treatment? 4. Can my vl increase if we have unprotected sex and he has a higher viral load.
Response from Dr. Lee
Please consult a doctor before proceeding.
1. Both start treatment and have undetectable VL before trying to conceive? Generally this is the recommended course of action.
2. Have unprotected sex only during my fertile period right now? Not a good idea. (See below.)
3. How dangerous is it for us to have unprotected sex if we have the same virus and neither of us has started treatment? Very! One reason that women may progress more rapidly without treatment (evidence in several early studies) is because of repeated re-infection. Re-infection may cause your viral load to go even higher. A second reason is that women are thought to be infected with several "families" of virus rather than just one "family". In other words, it is possible that you have only a couple of the types of viruses from your partner. With further exposure, you may have infection from additional types that he carries. The more varied the viral population is, the more likely there will be mutations that allow it to escape the immune systems efforts at control.
4. Can my vl increase if we have unprotected sex and he has a higher viral load. Yes. Please see a doctor. Unprotected sex is more dangerous for you than for your partner.
Your response that testing cannot be perfect
droped out of school preparing to die
- Is Hiv Higher In Inmates Than General Population?
- Muscle Ache After Oral Sex Form Sex Worker Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Painful Ejaculation After Giving Oral Sex What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Penis Discharge After Touching Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- Stinging Pain After Anal Sex Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Thrush After Licking Rectum Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.