Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Meds and Pregnancy

Dear Doctor, I am presently taking Viread, Epivir and Lexiva, as well as enalapril for blood pressure. MY viral load is undetectable at this time and my T-Cells are at approx. 380. My question is: Is it advisable for me to get pregnant at this time? Would I need to make a switch of meds to protect a baby? And how soon after switching meds would I have to wait to conceive? Thank you

Response from Dr. Lee

Some of these meds you are taking are relatively new and have had less testing and experience in pregnancy than some of the other antiretroviral meds. You really ought to talk to a knowledgable doctor about your specific situation (such as how long you've had HIV, what other meds you have been on, etc.) and I advise you to include the prospective father in your meetings. In terms of your HIV (which seems well controlled) this is probably as good a time as any for a pregnancy.

Be well.

Making sure i understood ur response 2nd try. Very depressed,
vaginal strep b infection/weight loss with shiingles.