Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sex with Girlfriend
Jul 11, 2004

Hello, I tested + in May of 03. My current viral load is under 400 and my cd4 = 176. My girlfreind is negative. However condomns irritate her, is there another option that we can pursue, I was thinking maybe there was a cream we could use. Even with a condomn on we are currently using the withdrawal method, just to be sure. Any advice would be appreciated.

Response from Dr. Lee

You may want to check out other barrier options such as a female condom or other male condoms (non-latex). The creams, etc. are not very effective and you will still be placing her at risk. There have been several studies that sho that there may be higher viral levels in semen than in blood. Thus, despite your blood viral load being under 400, you do not know the level of virus active in your semen. You are certainly being responsible toward her. Thanks for the questions.

Be well. Be safe.

Previous
Your answer will help me and millions like me.
Next
Im + Girlfreind wants to have a baby

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.