Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Sex with Girlfriend

Hello, I tested + in May of 03. My current viral load is under 400 and my cd4 = 176. My girlfreind is negative. However condomns irritate her, is there another option that we can pursue, I was thinking maybe there was a cream we could use. Even with a condomn on we are currently using the withdrawal method, just to be sure. Any advice would be appreciated.

Response from Dr. Lee

You may want to check out other barrier options such as a female condom or other male condoms (non-latex). The creams, etc. are not very effective and you will still be placing her at risk. There have been several studies that sho that there may be higher viral levels in semen than in blood. Thus, despite your blood viral load being under 400, you do not know the level of virus active in your semen. You are certainly being responsible toward her. Thanks for the questions.

Be well. Be safe.

Your answer will help me and millions like me.
Im + Girlfreind wants to have a baby