Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Your answer will help me and millions like me.

Dr. Sharon,

I got tested negative like ten days ago after eight months of exposure, Elisa test. I have been on antidepressants(Celexa 20mg) for the past two years now. Could u please tell me if taking celexa would have affected the test result(by not producing the antibodies), or will it affect the window period. If it affects then what should i do. Is there any definite way of ruling out HIV in my case. I m ready to get any test done, coz. i lost everything till now and i dont want to destroy myself.

Please answer. Thank you in advance.

Date of Exposure, Oct 4th 2003.

Date when i got tested, Jun 20th, 2004

Been on anti depressant(celexa 20 mg) medication since Feb 2002.

Ur answer would help me a lot, and also please suggest me if i should get any cd4/cd8, PCR so that this can be ruled out definitely and also out of my mind. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Lee

Date of Exposure, Oct 4th 2003.

Date ELISA test, Jun 20th, 2004. (NEGATIVE, I assume.)

On anti depressant medication since Feb 2002.

The medication is not likely to affect the test at all. It certainly will not inhibit the body's production of antibodies. Nor will it change the timing of reaction to infection or antibody production.

I believe if you have tested negative, and had no other possible exposure (since Oct, 2003) you should believe the test and move on. Clearly it is important to avoid any further exposure possibilities.

Be well.

Recently Diagnosed
Sex with Girlfriend