Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Your answer will help me and millions like me.
Jul 11, 2004

Dr. Sharon,

I got tested negative like ten days ago after eight months of exposure, Elisa test. I have been on antidepressants(Celexa 20mg) for the past two years now. Could u please tell me if taking celexa would have affected the test result(by not producing the antibodies), or will it affect the window period. If it affects then what should i do. Is there any definite way of ruling out HIV in my case. I m ready to get any test done, coz. i lost everything till now and i dont want to destroy myself.

Please answer. Thank you in advance.

Date of Exposure, Oct 4th 2003.

Date when i got tested, Jun 20th, 2004

Been on anti depressant(celexa 20 mg) medication since Feb 2002.

Ur answer would help me a lot, and also please suggest me if i should get any cd4/cd8, PCR so that this can be ruled out definitely and also out of my mind. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Lee

Date of Exposure, Oct 4th 2003.

Date ELISA test, Jun 20th, 2004. (NEGATIVE, I assume.)

On anti depressant medication since Feb 2002.

The medication is not likely to affect the test at all. It certainly will not inhibit the body's production of antibodies. Nor will it change the timing of reaction to infection or antibody production.

I believe if you have tested negative, and had no other possible exposure (since Oct, 2003) you should believe the test and move on. Clearly it is important to avoid any further exposure possibilities.

Be well.

Previous
Recently Diagnosed
Next
Sex with Girlfriend

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.