Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Recently Diagnosed

Hi Dr Lee, I was diagnosed +ve about a month ago. I live in Kenya where testing methods and treatment aren't as advanced as in the Western world. I'm trying very hard to adjust to life with the virus and to live positively. I have not exibited any signs whatsoever of having HIV. I had some tests run, the following are the results: WBC 8.90; LYMPHOCYTES 34.3%; LYMPHOCYTES ABS 3.05; CD3 1755/cmm; CD4 1005/cmm; CD8 718/cmm; CD4:CD8 1:4; HEP A&B,SYPHILIS ALL -VE. VL PCR 1RNA copies/ml. My questions: VL Assay used measures upto 400copies/ml. How is it possible for this result of 1RNA copies/ml to be arrived at? With this kind of lab results can I infect my partner? Im not on any meds what are the chances of transmission to my child if I conceived? What are my options for conception? With good nutrition & exercise and if I manange to avoid re-infection can I live 20-30yrs? Is it possible for me to maintain these lab results without medication? Does Aloe Vera boost immunity?

Thanx.

Response from Dr. Lee

How is it possible for this result of 1RNA copies/ml to be arrived at if the VL Assay used starts at 400copies/ml.? I don't know. I wonder if you have understood the number correctly. I suggest you review this with your doc.

With the other labs looking good (especially a CD4 count over 1000), you are in pretty good shape.

Other questions Can I infect my partner? You should consider that you are infective because safer sex is always good to prevent other infections, and even re-infection with HIV.

What are the chances of transmission to my child if I conceived? If your viral load is actually less than 400, the risk of transmission is low.

What are my options for conception? It is important to review your options with your doc and with your sexual partner. Again, if your viral load is less than 400 the risks are relatively low.

With good nutrition & exercise and avoidance of re-infection can I maintain these lab results without medication and live 20-30yrs? With the same above caveats, yes.

Does Aloe Vera boost immunity? NO.

Be well.

Does having Molluscum Contagiosum mean I'm HIV+?
Your answer will help me and millions like me.