Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Pregnant, positive elisa, neg. western blot

Dear Dr. I really hope that you help me out. I am 9 weeks pregnant, as a part of the prenatal visit I had a HIV teat done. I also had one last year this time that came out negative. This test came out Elisa was repeated and was positive both times. Western blot was neg. But my test result was still considered Reactive. My doctor wants to repeat the test. My boyfriend tested 2 years ago neg. which I dont belive that he was only with me from that time on. So his status is really unknowen at this time. I'm really freaking out here. They repeated the test and told me that I would have to wait for a week and a half. I would just really be so greatful if you can give me some insight on this situation. My questions are: If the confirmatory test(western blot) was neg. why would there still be a reactive result? And what are my chances of having a false positive on the elisa and everything being ok? Please help me out. Even if you cant post this message, please email me. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Lee

The likelihood of a false positive Elisa is greatest with pregnancy. If your confirmatory western blot test was negative, it is unlikely that you are infected. The safest course is to retest. But, the recheck Western Blot test will probably be negative.

Be well.

STD testing
antibodies