Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Keep Meds Going After Birth?
Jul 1, 2004

My fourteen week pregnant wife just found out she is HIV positive. I guess the only good news I have received is that this does not mean our child will have HIV and I tested negative for now. When she does start the antiviral medication does this mean she has to continue to take the meds after giving birth? We just found out two weeks ago and all that has been done so far is a CD4 count which was 496 and we are not due to go back to the doctors office for another three weeks so no info on viral load. She is not at that level yet to start medication if this was minus the pregnancy. Due to the strict guidelines I have learned about how harmful it is to start then stop medications would this also constitute such a situation?

Sorry I looked long and hard for a similar question to no avail. Thanks again for your invaluable resource. I have learned more about this disease on this site than from any other forum.

Response from Dr. Lee

You may be misunderstanding what the guidelines are designed for and how to use them. They are not "strict guidelines" but are actually for utilization by knowledgable physicians who use them in addition to specific patient information to help make recommendations for individuals. It is best to treat during pregnancy if the viral level is very high in order to reduce the probability of viral transmission to the child. Starting and stopping of medicines is not always harmful. Changes in medicines, including start/stop changes can be done safely (again with guidance from a knowledgable doc).

Best wishes for your family.

Previous
Question for wife
Next
viral load

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.