Women and HIVWomen and HIV

HOW TOXIC AM I?

I am hiv positive on meds with undetectable viral load and tcells above 1300. I am fit and healthy and no other problems. I am currently dating a negative man, and wondering what the risk would be for him if we decided to have sexual relations. I feel like a woman living in limbo. I have tried dating postive men but find they have too many issues, eg: prior drug use etc. I was accidentally exposed and want to live a normal life but still worry about infecting someone. Please give me some indication of the risk involved. I am also a nurse and know that blood to blood, sperm to blood is the most risk for another but still worry and need to know this before I have the "discussion" with my friend. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Lee

The risk is relatively low for a male having sex with a female, particularly with no detectable viral level. It is not really possible to quantitate that risk. The problem is that there is no way to ethically conduct a study to determine the precise risks. I would advise you to include safer sex techniques in your discussion (condoms, avoiding menstrual periods, etc.). Also, you may need to review both of your plans concerning children before getting deeply involved.

Be well.

HIV transmission risks of breast milk during sex play
Accuracy rate of HIV testing for infants