Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

edema
Jun 21, 2004

Hello, I am a 20 year old female, HIV+ (found out in 2001, no definite source of infection, probable in 1997). I am healthy other than fatigue and depression and I'm overweight. I am not taking medicine. Anyway, I have swelling on the entire left side of my body. It is noticable to me almost everywhere especially ankles, legs, waist, arms, hands...I am due to get my period soon and I normally get bloating etc., but wanted to ask if this seems like it is a PMS symptom or could be related to HIV. I wanted to wait to go to the doctor until after I got my period to make sure it wasn't just PMS. I am just concerned b/c there is a noticable difference in limbs and I can feel it - it feels swollen in my legs and arms (and of course my stomach but that always happens before I get my period). I hope you can help me and thank you for providing this service.

Response from Dr. Lee

You haven't indicated where you live (which could help determine what if any secondary infectious exposures may occur), what your T4 or CD4 level is (which also could help narrow the possible causes of your symptom), or any other details. Therefore, my answer has to be also very general. Please see your doctor to have the swelling evaluated. Generally swelling before a period is not just on one side, but affects both sides of the body. Check it out.

Be well.

Previous
PLEASE ANSWER THIS TIME, CANT SLEEP!!!!!
Next
haart and dramatic hair loss

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.