Women and HIVWomen and HIV

WOMEN OF COLOR

I HAVE A SMALL QUESTION MY HUSBAND HAS HIV WITH DEFINING AIDS HE IS A BLACK MALE AND I AM A WHITE FEMALE MY QUESTION I,VE READ WHERE WOMEN OF COLOR ARE MORE PRONE TO HIV THEN WHITE WOMEN WHY IS THAT ARE WE GENETICALLY THE SAME. BY THE WAY I HAVE BEEN WITH HIM 2 YRS. AND STILL NEGATIVE WITH NO PROTECTION AS WE JUST FOUND OUT HIS STATUS IN JAN. WHAT ARE MY CHANCES OF CONTRACTING HIV ALL MY TEST HAVE BEEN NEGATIVE.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

In some areas, HIV is more prevalent in people of color than in Caucasians. This is probably due to exposure rather than a big difference in the susceptibility of different racial groups to infection. There are some rare individuals who have mutations in the genes that code for the protein that allows HIV to enter cells and these mutations are more common in Caucasians. However, I must emphasize that these individuals are rare and thus most people are at risk of acquiring HIV from unprotected sex. The fact that you haven't acquired HIV yet does not mean thatyou are protected. I would urge you and your husband to learn about and practice safe sex to keep you uninfected.

HIV positive man/negative wife
What are the pre-natal vitamins