For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Hormone fluctuation?

How does HIV effect your menstrual cycle? I've heard it does nothing and I've also heard that it can cause it to go haywire. Which is correct?

Response from Dr. Lee

Depends on where you are in the disease. Generally, HIV has little or no effect on hormone levels early in the disease. But, there may be significant changes in hormone levels in later disease. This is especially a concern if there is significant weight loss (which may cause hormones to go haywire).

Be well.

should 13 and 15 year old boys be tested?
HIV positive man/negative wife