Women and HIVWomen and HIV

should 13 and 15 year old boys be tested?

I have had legal guardianship of my two nephews since 1997. My sister ended up in jail for drugs. I did not find out until just recently that she was tested for HIV while in prison and tested positive in 1997. Her boys are now 13 and 15 and are very healthy. Do I need to have them tested? They were born in 1988 and 1991.

Since their mother didn't seek any medical attention she is currently in the hospital with a Tcell count of 2, PCP, MAC, and a multitude of other problems they are trying to identify.

Is it a possibility that the boys were exposed to HIV at birth?

Response from Dr. Lee

It is unlikely that your nephews are infected, or they probably would have had symptoms by now. However, there have been a few kids who were not diagnosed until they were teens because they had very low viral levels and thus did not suffer from a lot of immune damage. Check with your doc, but there is almost no reason to hold off on testing, and a few reasons to go ahead and have them tested.

I am sorry to hear that your sister is suffering from such severe disease. I hope she responds to treatment. You have certainly given your nephews better chances at life. Bless you.

Be well.

Fear and Anxiety
Hormone fluctuation?