Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Fear and Anxiety
Jun 16, 2004

I am a 24 year old woman who is incredibly scared to get tested. I've read so many conflicting articles and stories that it's making my brain go numb. I had unprotected sex without ejaculation with a coworker about two years ago. Roughly 3-5 days later I got a fever of 103 and had to go to the hospital. My tonsils swelled up to the point where I was talking funny. They put me on antibiotics, but I think my strep test came back negative. Other than that, I didn't have any body aches or anything. I've heard that symptoms can show up 3 days later and I've also heard they won't show up for 3-6 weeks. I have no reason to believe that this man was HIV+ aside from the fact that if he had unprotected sex with me then he probably has with a lot of other women.

One of the other things that I've heard that really stands out in my mind is that a lot of ignorant clinic workers are saying that the majority of hiv+ patients they come in contact with were at one point IV drug users.

I understand that a one time incident with no ejaculation (without knowing his status) is not "extremely high risk", but the fact that I had a fever of 103 and very swollen tonsils scares the crap out of me.

I know I really need some counseling for my health anxiety, but I would also appreciate some clarification on the issues I've brought up. Thanks in advance!

Response from Dr. Lee

Please! I encourage you to get tested. Sitting on a potential bomb is no way to prevent it from going off. That said, you are correct that you probably have a relatively low risk from a one-time exposure (by the way, "no ejaculation" is not much protection because HIV may be carried in the pre-ejaculate). It sounds very much as though you may have had mononucleosis, but I wasn't there and therefore cannot help you with a definitive diagnosis. Please, talk to your doc. Get tested and be safe!

Bew well.

PS It is probably less expensive, less time-consuming and all around more productive to be tested rather than entering "counseling for your health anxiety."

Previous
HIV and HPV
Next
should 13 and 15 year old boys be tested?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.