Women and HIVWomen and HIV

How long before Resistance occurs?

I have been on Combivir/Viramune since Sept. 01, with good results. Since it has been 2.5 years on the same med, I'm wondering how long these meds will continue to work (on average) and then how is the next med selected?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

It's difficult to give a timeline but adherence and tolerability may impact the durability of the benefit from antivirals. Your chances of prolonged viral suppression and clinical benefit are best if you are adherent to the medication schedule (i.e., taking the meds on schedule for > 95% of the doses). As long as your RNA is undetectable and you are tolerating the meds well, you can expect many years of benefit.

Is treatment necessary during pregnancy
Right combination during pregnancy