Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV+ with neg husband considering pregnancy
Jun 4, 2004

Hi,

I know this questions comes up all the time but since each case is different here I go. I'm +33yrs with Neg husband of 28yrs. Contracted HIV beginning of 97. We are considering the possibility of having a baby. I'm currently taking Emtriva, Videx EC and Viread with no side-effects (just at the beginning). As of 4/22/04 my VL was 6,970 and CD-4 325-25%. Before that on 3/11 my VL was undetectable but I don't know the CD since I had gone to another Dr. (long story but I'm back with my fabulous Dr). And last year I was also undetectable. I think the VL went up because I had an episode of Shingles at the beginning of March and then a cold, and then another cold. But as of today I'm great.

I'll be seeing my doc on June to see how my VL is and reconsider treatment. Now, I would like to have a baby and I'm having an appointment next week with a perinatal expert on difficult pregnancies. So basically I want to get some info before I see him. So here are my questions:

Do I need to get my VL to undetectable before getting pregnant?

Would I continue taking my meds during the first trimesters? Or do I stop and go back at the end?

I had problems with AZT once. Are there any other alternatives during pregnancy?

Should I start taking some pre-natal vitamins?

I really appreciate the work The Body is doing. I have been a fan since my diagnosis and the forums are wonderful. I wouldn't have a clue without your newsletter.

Thank you very much,

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

I would recommend continuation of antiviral therapy to optimize your health and control of viral replication. If antivirals are working well before pregnancy, we generally recommend their continuation throughout pregnancy, since most antivirals appear to be safe. However, efavirenz is not recommended for administration during pregnancy and switching meds prior to pregnancy would be recommended. There are several alternatives to AZT. I would urge you to read the "Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Therapy During Pregnancy" (available on this web site) to better understand your alternatives.

If you are thinking of becoming pregnant soon, I would recommend that you start your pre-natal vitamins.

Previous
re: trying on shorts
Next
Viral load and Pregnancy in HIV+ women

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.