Women and HIVWomen and HIV

HIV+ with neg husband considering pregnancy

I know this questions comes up all the time but since each case is different here I go. I'm +33yrs with Neg husband of 28yrs. Contracted HIV beginning of 97. We are considering the possibility of having a baby. I'm currently taking Emtriva, Videx EC and Viread with no side-effects (just at the beginning). As of 4/22/04 my VL was 6,970 and CD-4 325-25%. Before that on 3/11 my VL was undetectable but I don't know the CD since I had gone to another Dr. (long story but I'm back with my fabulous Dr). And last year I was also undetectable. I think the VL went up because I had an episode of Shingles at the beginning of March and then a cold, and then another cold. But as of today I'm great.

I'll be seeing my doc on June to see how my VL is and reconsider treatment. Now, I would like to have a baby and I'm having an appointment next week with a perinatal expert on difficult pregnancies. So basically I want to get some info before I see him. So here are my questions:

Do I need to get my VL to undetectable before getting pregnant?

Would I continue taking my meds during the first trimesters? Or do I stop and go back at the end?

I had problems with AZT once. Are there any other alternatives during pregnancy?

Should I start taking some pre-natal vitamins?

I really appreciate the work The Body is doing. I have been a fan since my diagnosis and the forums are wonderful. I wouldn't have a clue without your newsletter.

Thank you very much,

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

I would recommend continuation of antiviral therapy to optimize your health and control of viral replication. If antivirals are working well before pregnancy, we generally recommend their continuation throughout pregnancy, since most antivirals appear to be safe. However, efavirenz is not recommended for administration during pregnancy and switching meds prior to pregnancy would be recommended. There are several alternatives to AZT. I would urge you to read the "Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Therapy During Pregnancy" (available on this web site) to better understand your alternatives.

If you are thinking of becoming pregnant soon, I would recommend that you start your pre-natal vitamins.

re: trying on shorts
Viral load and Pregnancy in HIV+ women