Women and HIVWomen and HIV

re: trying on shorts

Sharon answered my first question in which I was worried that trying on a pair of shorts without underwear would put me at risk for HIV. Her answer was "Not likely". Does this mean that I should get tested? Is this a risk? I am so scared now. If this is true, isn't this a major risk that people should know about (think of all the people who try on swimsuits with no underwear on). And what about toilet seats. Isnn't it possible that someone could "miss" the toilet seat and have their vagina fall on the seat where someone elses vagina was? The possiblilities are endless. I thought that this was a sexual/blood disease, I didn't think it could live on surfaces? Please respond.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

HIV is not transmitted through toilet seats or clothing, so if this is your only potential exposure, you shouldn't be concerned.

trying on shorts
HIV+ with neg husband considering pregnancy