Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried and would appreciate an answer
Jun 2, 2004

Dr,

I am a female and I had the following experience 15 months ago. I was virgin and I had a start of penetration with my ex bfriend, but he withdrew immediately after I felt a slight pain (being a virgin). There was no ejaculation, but I don't know about precum. What is my risk after this exposure?? I am sure I remained virgin after this experience which lasted only a few seconds.

I had negative elisa 1 and 2 after 15 months, but I am worried that I may not produce antibodies for any reason. I know there has been a few cases where people did not produce enough antibodies.

Can you please help me??? How would I know that I am not one of those people who have atypical host response like this case publiced by the CDC in 1995 about a guy in Utah.

I appreciate your help. Am worried. thanks you and God bless you!!

Response from Dr. Lee

If you have had two negative tests, it is almost 100% that you were not exposed to HIV during the encounter you described (which would have been a low risk anyway, especially since it is not clear that your beau is HIV+). I say almost because very few things in life are truly 100%. There are many other things for you to be worried about besides HIV. I recommend you consider yourself lucky, be careful about any future exposures, and move on.

Be well.

Previous
life expectancy for babies born with HIV
Next
trying on shorts

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.