Women and HIVWomen and HIV

tired and weight loss

I'm diagnosed HIV pos in march. Viral load 2000; CD4 436. Just had CMV and Mycoplasma pneumonia (reason why they did an HIV test). No treatment yet. I'm 51 years old, woman and have always been in good health, vegatarian. Feeling terribly tired and have once again a common cold. Weight loss - 5 kg since february (now 49 kgr). Working normal. Sore troath, not only because of the cold, but also problems swallowing, a feeling if there is a lump in my throath. My doctor thinks it's stress because the blood tests are "not bad". Very afraid and lonely in all this. Struggling to keep on, but what's the use? Terrified of the HAART treatment that has to follow? What life expextansie do I have? I trust you to keep this very confidential because of this email adress is the only one I have and it's on my job!

Response from Dr. Lee

There may be several things going on to cause your fatigue, etc. For one thing you are probably depressed. You are not alone and I recommend that you correspond with Jane Fowler of the national "HIV Wisdom for Older Women" at jane@HIVwisdom.org. Also talk with your doc about your concerns and see about medicine or therapy for depression.

Specifically, there is no reason to be "terrified" of HAART. But, of course terror rarely is reasonable. Your viral level is relatively very low and your CD4 is moderate, so you probably can wait a bit to consider treatment. Many people are stable for years with your level of viral activity.

The sore throat may be thrush and again, I recommend you check with your doc.

Hang in there! Be well.

Lesbain Partners
+and having a baby